More bricks per tile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: More bricks per tile? Reply with quote

Occasionally I have noticed a slight "tiling" effect which you have discussed and explained elsewhere. For my own needs in producing printable brickpapers by joining panels together in Paint Shop Pro to produce A4 sheet printable brickpaper this would be minimised substantially if I could print bigger panels with more actual bricks per row rather than just the same number of bricks at a bigger scale.

My own hobbyist needs are to produce viaduct walls for an historical-type railway model in 4mm/1ft scale of around 2-3 feet long. Say 900mm / 3mm per brick (@9 inch) = 300 bricks long. I panel tiles of 8 bricks width (24mm) tend to visually "tile" a lot and show a distinct grid pattern. A panel of 30-100 bricks wide would be great. The vertical tiling effect isn't so noticeable so 10 courses high would be fine.

I'd guess the complex factor is the bonding/shading and wrap-around at the end of the rows, whatever is in-between being purely random. So, other than memory requirements I'd guess (might be wrong though) that it shouldn't be too costly in terms of system resources to produce panels with more bricks in them.

I *do* understand that you didn't design the program for the needs of card modellers though and the 3d modelling/rendering results look superb.

Just a suggestion and many thanks for what you've done so far Wink
MrSparkle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max!

Thanks for your suggestion. Currently the size of the texture images are limited by the operation system. To create an image using the internal Windows methods, you need to have enough free RAM in one block. That means if you create a 4096x4096 sized image you need one 64 MB (4096x4096 x 32bit/pixel) continous memory block. So, it does not only depend on how much free memory you have, but on how fragmented your memory is. You could use a tool like FreeRAM to defragment the memory in order to create very big images (though I didn't achived texture sizes of more than 8192x8192 pixels).

Christian
madmax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I suppose there would be limits in Windows to allocating max memory to a handle. 64mb allocation limits in the O/S might have looked big at one time of day but increasingly restrictive to programmers.

Is there no gain to be had from reducing the bpp?
I'd probably be happy with 8 bits per pixel. Not sure I'd even notice above 24bpp.

Also, my brick sizes would possibly be a fair bit smaller than perhaps others would use.
MrSparkle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this could be useful to keep the memory footprint low, though it is not possible with the current version. In the next version there will be some more file formats and compression availabilities, especially for the DirectX DXT1 - DXT5 algorithms which are more efficient than using a lower bits per pixel resolution for textures.

Christian
hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Pixel width/height minor bug Reply with quote

So suppose you do have lots of RAM and get a little crazy with the width. There is a minor bug in the display of the settings for the final image pixel width and height where it will take a five digit number, but only shows four of the digits.

I too am using this for card stock building. I have to make the 18th century brick industrial building in the book The Polar Express in O scale for our Lionel Polar Express train Christmas layout. This program will be a big help.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bricks'n'Tiles Forum Index -> Wishlist All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: