patterns ....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patricks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: patterns .... Reply with quote

Hi

this is my first post and first of all i want to thank the creator of this wonderful software Cool
it is very powerful and it has alot of potential ...

for brick creation it is just perfect but you can also do other textures with it like wood flooring Wink

here is a downscaled wood texture that i created using BricksĚnĚTiles ( original size is 2048 x 2048 )

Now the only "limitation" i see is that you can not use different patterns .... but maybe you could implement a solution for this ....
My idea is that the user could import a already tiled pattern ( bitmap )and based on some colors , the program knows where to place the images ( the colors serve to indicate if the image have to be rotated in one direction or in the other ... maybe with a color picker the user can tell that this color means to rotate 90 degree or 45 degree ( use color picker and sett rotation value Wink ))
This can be don by hand in any image manipulation software but it takes very long if the image is big .
here is a example of what i mean with a imported tiled pattern which is not so difficult to creat in any image manipulation program

This system could also serve to tell BrickĚnĚTiles to only place images in on selected color and leave the other color without images ....
if you could implement this , i think that BrickĚnĚTiles would be very powerful and muche more flexible for texture creation of any kind , not only for Bricks Wink

what do you think ?

Greetings Patrick
MrSparkle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great texture! I have never tried creating wooden floor textures with Bricks'n'Tiles, but the result is very convincing. It also looks very nice on your Kerkythea logo you postet into the gallery section.

Your approach to create custom tile layouts seems to be very promising. I'm looking for a algorithm to create pattern like the Herringbone bond. This could as well be done with your approach, I guess. But I still think that implementing this is a lot work to do, because you have to provide a decent editor the user can create his own brick layout with.

I have a similar problem when creating textures for timber-framed buildings where the wood textures have different rotations, too. Maybe I come up with an idea to solve both problems... However, there will be a lot more possibilities to create regular brick pattern in the next version of Bricks'n'Tiles.

Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bricks'n'Tiles Forum Index -> Wishlist All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: